Mary Barclay grant
Mary Barclay is the founder of the Canadian Youth Hostel Association, now known as HI Canada. In 1933, she set up the first Canadian hostel in a tent west of Calgary (Bragg Creek). In 1987, at the age of 86, Mary received the Order of Canada, the highest honor in the country. This grant is dedicated to the role she played in building a hostelling movement in Canada.
Deadline to submit an application : to be determined
Grant amount : $1,000
• The candidate must be between 18 and 24 year old on the departure date
• The candidate must prove that they can finance 80% of their trip, to which the foundation can add up to $1,000
• The trip must be for a duration of at least three weeks
• The candidate must organize the entire trip
• The trip must include at least two destinations
• The trip must involve a learning and educational component of other cultures
• Applications must be submitted before deadline
• The candidate must be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and live in Canada
2018 mary barclay grant awardee
Amélie tells us about her journey through Ireland, England, Denmark and France. Tales of a young musician with a taste for adventure.