Mary Barclay grant
Mary Barclay is the founder of the Canadian Youth Hostel Association, now known as HI Canada. In 1933, she set up the first Canadian hostel in a tent west of Calgary (Bragg Creek). In 1987, at the age of 86, Mary received the Order of Canada, the highest honor in the country. This grant is dedicated to the role she played in building a hostelling movement in Canada.
Deadline to submit an application : to be determined
Grant amount : $1,000
The candidate must
• Be between 18 and 24 year old on the departure date
• Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and live in Canada
• Present a financial need
• The trip must include at least two destinations (different regions or different countries), last for a minimum of 3 weeks and be entirely organized by the participant
• The trip must involve a learning and educational component of other cultures
• Application must be submitted before deadline
2018 mary barclay grant awardee
Amélie tells us about her journey through Ireland, England, Denmark and France. Tales of a young musician with a taste for adventure.